[ASA] ASA ASM 2012 Third Announcement

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Wed Jun 13 17:19:18 AEST 2012

Third Announcement

The ASA ASM will be hosted by the University of New South Wales, Sydney, from the 2nd to the 6th July 2012.  The Welcome Reception starts at 6pm on Sunday 1st of July.  The Harley Wood Winter School will be held immediately before the ASM, in the Blue Mountains at Wentworth Falls, from 28th June to 1st July 2012.

We hope to welcome many of you here at UNSW in July.

Maria Cunningham and Lucyna Kedziora-Chudczer (on behalf of the organising committees)

Please read the information below. Check the website frequently for updates and additional information.

News:

The program of the meeting is available now on http://www.asa2012.phys.unsw.edu.au/programme.html.

As usual, we had a larger demand for oral presentations than the number of available places.

You may notice that the SOC scheduled some very short talks (5 minutes) at the end of a few sessions. This is to enable the Early Career Researchers to advertise their work in a more substantial contribution than the Poster Sparkler time.

All participants who requested an oral presentation and missed out, can contribute a poster instead. Please let us know if you do not wish to contribute a poster.

Dates and Deadlines:

* Abstract Submission for Posters: 15th June 2012  <-- Note the deadline approaching
(Poster requests will be considered after this date, but this is the deadline for abstracts to be included in the conference booklet.)
* There are still 11 reserved budget accommodation places available in New College which have to be booked very soon (please indicate your interest by e-mail to ASA2012 at phys.unsw.edu.au )

Interactive Posters:

Thanks to Kooaba and their image recognition technology, this year, poster sessions at the ASA ASM will be interactive. By taking a picture with their smartphone, attendees will be able to share posters of interest, access additional material such as videos, images and the original PDF, or import it to their Mendeley library. Simply use the Kooaba's Shortcut app' to recognise the posters during the conference.

Detailed information on how to upload their poster to the server will be sent to the poster authors closer from the ASM.

Invited Speakers

Dr Tamara Davis (University of Queensland)
Dr Mike Keith (CASS)
Professor Karl Glazebrook (Swinburne University of Technology)
Dr Jose Bellido Caceres (University of Adelaide)
Dr Christoph  Fedderath (Monash University)
Professor Tim Bedding (University of Sydney)
Dr Holger Baumgardt (University of Queensland)
Dr Daniel Bayliss (ANU)
Professor Tim Slater (University of Wyoming)
Dr Magda  Arnaboldi (ANU)
Dr Lisa Fogarty (University of Sydney)
Dr John Morgan (ICRAR)
Dr Lisa Harvey-Smith (CASS)

Harley Wood Lecture (Public)

Prof Chris Tinney (UNSW) A Wealth of New Planets
Tues. 3 July 2012, at 7 pm
UNSW Physics Lecture Theatre

Special attractions

A tour of the Aboriginal Astronomy Sites in the Kurringai National Park guided by Dr Duane Hamacher

Saturday 7th July 2012 at 10am (estimated time back in Sydney 3pm)
Limited capacity
Estimated Cost $25 (includes transport and packed lunch)

Please indicate your interest as soon as possible, so we can make firm travel arrangements.

Registration

	  Abstract Submission and Registration for the ASA ASM is accepted online. Follow the link: http://www.asa2012.phys.unsw.edu.au/registration/.

Note:

Authors presenting papers at the ASM are generally restricted to financial ASA members (paid up by 30 June). However authors may present a paper once as a non-member.
Multiple posters or oral+poster contributions are also acceptable. Please include additional abstracts in the box provided on the registration form, or send them directly to ASA2012 at phys.unsw.edu.au.
Please provide the abstract and title of your presentation during the registration process. However if this is not possible make sure to indicate the type of presentation and preliminary title. All abstracts should be submitted before deadlines for a specific types of presentations (e-mail them to ASA2012 at phys.unsw.edu.au)

Prices

Registration includes the opening reception, the conference dinner, lunches Monday to Thursday, and morning and afternoon tea.

Registration (after 15th May)

student $340.00
member $440.00
non member $490.00
non member student $390.00
invited speakers No charge

Making Payments

The registration and abstract submission form includes a link for making payments. Payment can be done by either cheque or credit card.

For departments wishing to make bulk payments, please ask people to register individually, choose "cheque" as the payment method, and then follow the instructions. There is a page to print out that needs to be sent to UNSW with payment, and a booking reference number which should be recorded and included.

One payment can include as many individual registrations as needed. Remember, the deadline for early registration was 15th May, whatever method is used. For more information, please contact ASA2012 at phys.unsw.edu.au.

At the completion of payment you have the option of printing out a tax invoice, by clicking a button. We strongly advice you do it. Note that this is your only record of transaction provided by the UNSW.

Accommodation

University Accommodation
There are a small number of low cost rooms ($50-90/night) available at UNSW campus which will preferentially be given to students, if you are interested in these rooms please contact Maria via the ASA organising committee email address ASA2012 at phys.unsw.edu.au.

New College
We have reserved 50 rooms in New College, on the UNSW campus. The cost per night is $65 including continental breakfast. The rooms have shared bathrooms. Alcohol consumption and smoking are not permitted within the college. However, there are several excellent pubs nearby. There is more information on our website, and at the New college website -http://www.newcollege.unsw.edu.au/sydney/casual-accommodation.

Shalom College (available to students and non-students)
There are also rooms available in Shalom College at UNSW.The cost for these is $70 for a shared bathroom and $90 for a private bathroom, including continental breakfast (costs subject to change), and the minimum stay is 2 nights. The number of rooms will not be clear until around 1st June, when the college finds out which students will be away for the winter break, but we expect around 25, with a mix of shared and private bathrooms.See http://www.shalomcollege.unsw.edu.au/Casual-Accommodation/default.aspx To reserve a room in Shalom College please email ASA2012 at phys.unsw.edu.au and state that your request is for Shalom college. Once again, booking will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. The first 25 are fairly well assured of a place, so when you request a reservation we will let you know where in the queue you are.

General Accommodation
There is a large range of accommodation available close to UNSW, and some suggestions are given on our website. Attendees are responsible for organising and paying for their own accommodation.

Dr Lucyna Kedziora-Chudczer
Postdoctoral Fellow
School of Physics and Astrophysics
UNSW