[Limdep Nlogit List] Ordered probit/logit on percentage brackets

Alessandro Corsi alessandro.corsi at unito.it
Wed Feb 21 03:16:03 AEDT 2024

Hello everybody

I have a sample of firms that export part of their production. The share
of export over their production is reported in percentage brackets
(e.g., less than 15%; 15-50%, etc.). The specific bracket of each firm
is my dependent variable in a model with several explanatory variables:
the dependent variable is clearly ordered and not continuous, but it is
constrained between 0 and 1 (or 0%-100%). I ran an ordered probit with
Limdep, and received no warning, but I am uncertain about my results.

My question is: Is it appropriate to use an ordered probit? Is the 0 to
1 range of the dependent variable a problem? and, if so, are there
alternative methods to handle the problem, and how do they work in Limdep?

Thanks

Alessandro

Alessandro Corsi
Dept of Economics and Statistics "Cognetti de Martiis"
University of Torino, Italy

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-d1lCoV1kpfDODoE1f1cUZ3?domain=avast.com