[Limdep Nlogit List] Comparing coefficients

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Tue Dec 27 01:13:46 AEDT 2022

Harold.  I'm assuming you have three separate, independent regressions,
and you have three coefficients, b1, b2, b3.  I'm not sure what you mean by
"compare."  It sounds like you want to test the hypothesis that the three
coefficients are equal.  But, the alternative is that any one of the
coefficients
differs from the other two (which might be equal) or that all three are
different.
Formally, the null hypothesis is beta1 - beta3 = 0 and beta2 - beta3 = 0,
two
restrictions.  As long as we're agreed on the ambiguity of the alternative,
which is "not the null," you can use a Wald test. (Asymptotically
chi-squared
with 2 degrees of freedom.)  The test statistic is d' * inv(V) * d, where d
is a
2x1 vector containing (b1 - b3) and (b2 - b3) and V is a 2x2 covariance
matrix
containing s1^2 + s3^2 then s3^2 in the first row and s3^2 then s2^2 + s3^2
in the second where sj^2 is the estimated asymptotic variance for
coefficient bj.
Regards
Bill

--
William Greene
Department of Economics, emeritus
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics