[Limdep Nlogit List] can i pick your brains?

Eaton, Derek Derek.Eaton at wur.nl
Wed Mar 25 20:19:24 EST 2009

William,

Having just dealt with another 'unconventional' panel data set (in my
case T=17) and a low signal-noise ratio with explanatory vars, I found
that I should have done more graphical exploratory analysis of my
dependent variable at the beginning before letting a barrage of models
loose on the data. When I finally did - and it took me a day just to get
the kind of plots I needed (in the end, I did this with R, not LIMDEP) -
a number of approaches were quickly eliminated.

In terms of panel data models, you may also want to experiment with
fixed effects models with both individual and time effects (2-way), and
even an interaction between them (see E11.12 in manuals). And your
problem seems to suggest a dynamic formulation, so the Arellano, Bond
and Bover GMM model (E11.15) is a possibility.

It sounds though like you have a more fundamental challenge. You wish to
explain changes in airline service over time at different airports but
do not have variables that exhibit this type of variation. Perhaps you
can look for logical interaction terms between an i-dominant variable
and a t-dominant one? You may also trying to see if you can successfully
explain total flights (aggregate across airports) with your t-dominant
variables first. If not, it seems unlikely you will get further at a
disaggregated level.

Derek Eaton
Derek Eaton
Researcher, International Trade & Development
Agricultural Economics Research Institute (LEI)
part of Wageningen University & Research Centre

t: +31-(0)70-335 82 43
p: P.O. Box 29703, The Hague, 2502LS, The Netherlands
www.lei.nl/uk