[GPlates-discuss] reconstructing symbol file in a topology

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Wed Nov 30 13:39:55 AEDT 2016

Hi Douwe,

This issue has just been fixed, but unfortunately too late for the public 2.0 release. We may decide to have a bug-fix release though, but not sure as this stage.

So currently (in 2.0) you can use a symbol file when 'not' reconstructing using topologies. However as soon as you select 'yes' for 'reconstruct using topologies' then the symbol disappears.

Just to note for others reading this, a couple other bugs that have been fixed since 2.0 are:
(1) setting the 'oldest age' to 0Ma, when using topologies to reconstruct, causes the 'youngest age' to be -1Ma (which causes GPlates to abort),
(2) when visualising deformation strain accumulation, only integer values of the strain accumulation scale will work properly.

Also note that, as mentioned in the release announcement, GPlates 2.0 supports NetCDF-3 (but not NetCDF-4). To convert to NetCDF-3 you can use the 'nccopy' executable (that comes with NetCDF). For example, "nccopy -k 1 netcdf_4.nc netcdf_3.nc". This affects importing rasters and 3D scalar fields into GPlates.

Regards,
John