[SydPhil] THE ANATOMY OF GOD AND THE PROBLEM OF EVIL: Lessons from an African Perspective - The Logic and Religion Webinar, May 11

FRANCISCO MARIANO assismariano at ufrn.edu.br
Wed May 10 17:20:19 AEST 2023

Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion Webinar Series which will be held on May 11, 2023, at 4pm CET with the topic:

THE ANATOMY OF GOD AND THE PROBLEM OF EVIL: Lessons from an African Perspective
Speaker: Aribiah Attoe<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mvvcCNLJyQUZPQ341ImjtBD?domain=wits.ac.za> (University of Witwatersrand, South Africa)
Chair:  Francisco de Assis Mariano<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Er6ZCOMKzVTNZgxWoTvT2dg?domain=assismariano.weebly.com> (University of Missouri-Columbia, USA)

Please, register in advance to access the zoom link:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/eK70CP7LAXf0N2Xpqi1c9ac?domain=logicandreligion.com

Abstract: In this talk, I will provide a new response to the problem of evil from an African perspective. I will argue that the notion of a God that is conscious and intentional is mistaken. This is because these attributes are not based on any concrete information about the nature of God, and so are simply misattributions. Thus, I will argue for a new notion of God as a material and depersonalised entity, therefore redefining the African limited God view. I will also show that “evil” is merely a category of the mind. Finally, I will show how these ideas make the problem of evil irrelevant.

Join us 5 minutes prior to the beginning of the session!

With best wishes,

Francisco de Assis Mariano
The University of Missouri-Columbia
LARA Secretary