[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series: Jonathan Sholl

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Mon May 8 11:33:53 AEST 2023

Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is Jonathan Sholl (Bordeaux).

The title of Jonathan’s talk is “Is anything in nutrition future proof?”. Here’s the abstract for Jonathan’s talk:

In her 2021 book Why Trust Science?, Naomi Oreskes claims that when skeptics distrust scientists because they keep “getting things wrong,” they readily refer to “the changing and seemingly contradictory recommendations of nutritionists.” This skeptical sentiment is shared by nutrition journalists, scientists, and likely a large portion of the general public. Addressing similar skepticism about the stability of science more generally, Peter Vickers has recently argued that it is possible to find claims in science about which there is no reasonable room for doubt, which he calls “future proof science”. In this talk, I will assess whether anything in the supposedly contradictory realm of nutrition reflects such a solid international consensus to be considered an established fact. I offer several candidates for such claims and go into detail about those pertaining to healthy dietary patterns and the diet-heart hypothesis. I end with some suggestions as to why the skeptical view of nutrition persists.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 10th of May at 3:30 p.m. in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle and will be simulcast via Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at a nearby venue. All welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy