[SydPhil] THE LOGICAL PROBLEM OF EVIL FROM A PARACONSISTENT PERSPECTIVE: The Logic and Religion Webinar, April 13 (Thursday)

FRANCISCO MARIANO assismariano at ufrn.edu.br
Wed Apr 12 09:45:22 AEST 2023

Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion Webinar Series which will be held on April 13 (Thursday), 2023, at 4pm CET with the topic:

THE LOGICAL PROBLEM OF EVIL FROM A PARACONSISTENT PERSPECTIVE
Speaker: Itala Maria Loffredo D'Ottaviano<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7KptC4QOPEizYmr2wFOCcS7?domain=en.wikipedia.org7Ottaviano> (University of Campinas, Brazil).
Chair: Evandro Gomes<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AU_xC5QPXJiMgxAPrCOoRuG?domain=orcid.org> (State University of Maringá, Brazil).

Please, register in advance to access the zoom link:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/o6kUC6XQ4LfPV1X64UmvDOl?domain=logicandreligion.com

Abstract: After a brief discussion on the presence of paraconsistent approaches in the history of Western thought<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nSzgC71R2NTzEQLXBFNX7zL?domain=jstor.org>, in special in ancient and medieval times, we will characterize paraconsistent logic, created only during the 20th century. Recently, Bertato (2021)<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/U3wNC81V0PTXOz95yfo77M2?domain=scielo.br> presented a proposal for a Formal Natural Theology through a first-order logical theory, by formally introducing fundamental concepts such as divine, necessary, and supreme. In this presentation, based on Bertato’s system, we will propose a paraconsistent underlying approach to deal with the Logical Problem of Evil, such that the presence of contradictions does not lead to logical triviality.

Join us 5 minutes prior to the beginning of the session!

With best wishes,

--
Francisco de Assis Mariano
The University of Missouri-Columbia