[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series: Alastair Wilson

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 09:10:25 AEDT 2023

Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is Alastair Wilson (University of Birmingham).

The title of Alastair’s talk is “Priority, Emergence, and Structural Realism”. Here’s the abstract for Alastair’s talk:

I argue for a distinction between two kinds of priority in metaphysics:  metaphysical fundamentality and metaphysical naturalness. Drawing this distinction allows for perfectly natural properties at non-fundamental levels. I show how the distinction between fundamentality and naturalness can be implemented in a simple subject-matter-based framework, and then apply the distinction i) to account for the elusive notion of metaphysical emergence and ii) to characterize the attractive but slippery thesis of structural realism in the philosophy of science.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 29th of March at 3:30 p.m. in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle and will be simulcast via Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at the Rose. All welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy