[SydPhil] USYD PG WIPS - all welcome

Brigitte Claire Everett beve3431 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Wed Mar 15 17:08:20 AEDT 2023

Hi all,

This semester some of our postgrad work in progress events (WIPs) will be open to both staff and students to attend.

Please see details below for our WIP talk on Friday (17 Mar) from 3:00 to 4:30pm. It will be a hybrid event.
----
Time: 3:00-4:30 PM, 17 Mar (Fri)
In person: Seminar Room N494, the Quad
Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/83453490326
Presenter: Rasmus Pedersen

Neural Delay & Desynchronization Problems for The Simple Brain-time Theory

The simple brain time theory of time perception states that the temporal properties of the brain's neural processing of sensory features stand in an isomorphic relation to the temporal properties represented in experience. In other words, this theory holds that the time of representing is identical to the time represented due to facts about our brain's perceptual system. If true, the simple brain time theory provides a simple solution to the temporal binding problem i.e., how sensory features of objects and agents are integrated into coherent percepts when these features change over time. In this talk, I argue that the theory cannot account for an adaptive trade-off between, the speed of perceptual availability and the accuracy of temporal integration. I hold that a theory of time perception must account for this trade-off to account for the temporal binding problem and that this requires solving two timing problems: the problem of neural delay and desynchronization. I lay out these problems and argue that the simple brain time theory is unable to give a unified solution to these. Either it fails to answer one of these problems and errs on one side of the trade-off or violates its commitment to its main thesis that time represented = time of representing. I end by sketching a few possible solutions.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there!