[SydPhil] Friday, 9 Dec: Cheryl Misak Seminar at USyd

Emily Hulme emily.hulme at sydney.edu.au
Wed Nov 30 10:17:20 AEDT 2022

Cheryl Misak, "Ryle’s Debt: Peirce, Ramsey, and MacDonald on Hypotheses and Laws”

University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series
Philosophy Seminar Room, The University of Sydney, Friday, Dec 9, 3:30–5PM

Simulcast via Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/89125624489

Abstract:

It is often said that Ryle’s 1949 The Concept of Mind was heavily influenced by Wittgenstein. But I argue that Ryle helped himself to Margaret MacDonald’s 1937 reading of Ramsey’s idea that laws are inference tickets or rules with which we meet the future. He also helped himself to MacDonald’s distinction between knowing how and knowing that, which she found in Peirce. Not only will this argument bring the superb analytic philosopher Margaret MacDonald back into the light, where she belongs, but it will lay out the insights of pragmatism about generalizations and laws, which rightly remain strong today.