[SydPhil] Masterclass in Moral Philosophy with C. Stephen Evans

Timothy Smartt timothy.smartt at nd.edu.au
Tue Oct 18 12:03:40 AEDT 2022

Living Accountably: Accountability as a Virtue

A one-week masterclass in moral philosophy with Professor C. Stephen Evans (Notre Dame Australia/Baylor)

7-10 November 2022

The Institute for Ethics & Society at The University of Notre Dame Australia is delighted to host a one-week masterclass in moral philosophy with Professor C. Stephen Evans (Notre Dame Australia/Baylor). The masterclass is free and open to everyone.

*Masterclass description*

There is much talk about accountability in the contemporary world. When bad behaviour is uncovered, there are cries to hold the guilty parties accountable and outrage when this is not done. This seems justified-we think people should be held accountable, and perhaps punished, for how they behave. This masterclass will focus on a more positive side of accountability by looking at the characteristics of persons who live accountably. Such people welcome being accountable to others: they have a virtue that could be called accountability.

This class will explore the nature of accountability as a virtue, as well as some of the ways in which its cultivation can positively impact society. We will examine the characteristics of the virtue itself, which is linked to the virtue the ancient Greeks described as justice. We will explore questions such as: How might accountability impact human flourishing? To whom are we accountable? What is the role of accountability in the moral life generally? We will also examine the transformative power of accountability in relation to varied spheres of contemporary society, including 12-step programs that combat addictive behaviours, the criminal justice system, and business and non-profit organizations.

The masterclass will primarily focus on readings from Professor Evans' forthcoming book "Living Accountably: Accountability as a Virtue" (Oxford University Press).

*Details*

Dates: 7-10 November 2022

Time: 10:00am-1:00pm

Mode: In person

Venue: Moorgate Room (10 Grafton St, Chippendale), University of Notre Dame Australia, Broadway.

More details: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1vbtC2xMQzik2BGZyIn9R2Q?domain=notredame.edu.au

Applications are now open and will close at 5:00pm on 21 October 2022. Spots are limited.

For inquiries and registration, contact Tim Smartt (timothy.smartt at nd.edu.au<mailto:timothy.smartt at nd.edu.au>).

The masterclass is free and open to everyone.

Readings will be distributed two weeks prior to the event.

Tim Smartt
Lecturer | Institute for Ethics & Society
The University of Notre Dame Australia
Level 1 | 104 Broadway (PO Box 944), Broadway NSW 2007
Phone: (02) 8204 4232
Email:   timothy.smartt at nd.edu.au<mailto:timothy.smartt at nd.edu.au>
Web:    Staff Page<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FcPKC3QNPBimgyM9NFqAs0Y?domain=notredame.edu.au>
Web:    Moral Philosophy & Ethics Education Program<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1Ey9C4QOPEiJ2DW9kHBVMEf?domain=notredame.edu.au>