[SydPhil] Reminder: Used CAH Research Seminar

Ben Brown benjamin.brown at sydney.edu.au
Thu Jun 2 08:25:04 AEST 2022

[NB. This paper will also be of interest to political theorists and philosophers! Zoom details at the end]

Dear Esteemed Colleagues,

As winter arrives and the semester draws to a close, this a quick reminder that our final presentation in the Classics and Ancient History/CCANESA online research seminar series for Semester 1 will take place TODAY

Thursday, the 2nd of June at 4pm, (AEST UTC/GMT +10) with

Tristan Bradshaw (University of Wollongong).

"Aristotle and Marx: Configuring the History of the Human Animal, In and Out of Capitalism."

Abstract:
History and science make strange bedfellows. Or at least that’s the view of Aristotle. And yet Marx—in one of his most famous texts—not only invokes science in the name of history, but on this basis turns to Aristotle to begin his first published analysis of capital. In this paper, I try to account for this unlikely alliance. I suggest that there is exactly one place in Aristotle’s vast corpus where he attempts a kind of ‘scientific history’, and that is his account of the human animal as a political animal in Politics. My reading of this famous part of Aristotle, which is admittedly unorthodox, is motivated by what I see as several persistent misinterpretations. I will attempt to correct the record and, in doing so, see how Marx’s use of Aristotle evinces his critical approach to antiquity as well as capitalism.

Presenter bio:
I am a political theorist and classicist. Broadly speaking, my research concerns the intersections of ancient traditions and contemporary lives, especially where the past informs and cultivates critical thinking and transformative political practice. More specifically, I focus on Aristotle and his use in critical theories, especially Marx and post-Marxism. In 2022 I joined the University of Wollongong after three years at the University of Sydney as lecturer in political theory and then postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Classics and Ancient History. I received my PhD from the Department of Political Science at Northwestern University in 2021, where I was an Andrew W Mellon doctoral fellow and affiliate of the critical theory cluster. Since 2020, I have co-directed, with Dr Ben Brown (University of Sydney), the Critical Antiquities Network and its monthly online forum, the Critical Antiquities Workshop, which aim to connect scholars working between ancient traditions and contemporary critical theories.

Please register for this free online presentation (if you have not already registered for the series):
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/uDBpCBNqjlCVAlYkzTzA1H5?domain=signup.e2ma.net<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/dxntCD1vlpTBMO4WDI5c3oa?domain=t.e2ma.net>
The Zoom meeting details for this seminar are:
Meeting URL: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/82481695642?from=addon<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pHWDCE8wmrtWn6EzkIpY5aN?domain=t.e2ma.net>
Meeting ID: 824 8169 5642

DR BEN BROWN
Classics and Ancient History
School Undergraduate Curriculum Coordinator (SOPHI)
School BAS Coordinator (SOPHI)
Research Seminar Coordinator (CAH)
Co-director Critical Antiquities Network
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry (SOPHI)
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY NSW 2006
Ph.: 9351 8983; Office: Main Quad J6.07
E benjamin.brown at sydney.edu.au<mailto:benjamin.brown at sydney.edu.au> | W https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZapiCGv0oyCJqLvP2FQIcBQ?domain=sydney.edu.au

Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral

Recent Book<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Pl5vCJyBrGf8yQN2gsvfaVn?domain=bmcr.brynmawr.edu>

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.