[SydPhil] Dr Tristan Bradshaw - Thursday 12 May, Agora Speaker Series

Sally Cole cole at uow.edu.au
Wed May 11 13:39:01 AEST 2022

The School of Liberal Arts, University of Wollongong invites you to attend the
Agora Speaker Series
Thursday 12 May, 3.30 to 5.00pm
This is an in-person event at the University of Wollongong - Register here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Uc-ACMwGxOt5zgogVuwd5AS?domain=uow.au1.qualtrics.com>

Dr Tristan Bradshaw (University of Wollongong)

Aristotle and Marx: Configuring the History of the Human Animal, In and Out of Capitalism
History and science make strange bedfellows. Or at least that's the view of Aristotle. And yet Marx-in one of his most famous texts-not only invokes science in the name of history, but on this basis turns to Aristotle to begin his first published analysis of capital. In this lecture, I try to account for this unlikely alliance. I suggest that there is exactly one place in Aristotle's vast corpus where he attempts a kind of 'scientific history', and that is his account of the human animal as a political animal in Politics. My reading of this famous part of Aristotle, which is admittedly unorthodox, is motivated by what I see as several persistent misinterpretations. I will attempt to correct the record and, in doing so, see how Marx's use of Aristotle evinces his critical approach to antiquity as well as capitalism.

The Agora Speaker Series is proudly hosted by
The School of Liberal Arts
Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
University of Wollongong
NSW 2522 Australia
SOLA Enquiries sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au<mailto:sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au>
T +61 2 4221 4160

Sally Cole
School Administrative Assistant
School of Liberal Arts
Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
University of Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
T +61 2 4298 1552
Work Days: Monday to Thursday - 9am to 3pm
uow.edu.au | Facebook<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xVjKCNLJyQUNjAnA5F4pAVX?domain=facebook.com> | Twitter<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GAlYCOMKzVTAvJPJrck-GA4?domain=twitter.com> | Instagram<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/8AozCP7LAXf43ODOAIjzuSD?domain=instagram.com> | LinkedIn<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Ok3VCQnMBZf6o8D84ir3ncM?domain=linkedin.com>

[pmc_strategic_marketing_and_communications$:MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS:SMC PROJECTS:LIVE:SMC UOW Rebrand 2016:1.0 Brand development:1.01 UOW Brand guidelines and assets:Logos:Primary:RGB:jpeg:UOW_Primary_RGB_Dark Blue.jpg]