[SydPhil] Reminder: HPS Research Seminar - 4th April 2022 at 5.30pm (updated: 30/3/2022)

HPS Admin hps.admin at sydney.edu.au
Mon Apr 4 16:11:27 AEST 2022

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IFRlC6XQ4LforpVGycpNLc9?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
RESEARCH SEMINAR
SEMESTER ONE 2022
MONDAY 4TH APRIL 2022
FROM 5:30PM

Location:
Zoom:
F23 Michael Spence Building, Level 5, Room 501
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/86947851186

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/woYNC71R2NTmA8EWZhWXcQP?domain=mcusercontent.com]
MITCHELL GIBBS
FIRST NATIONS KNOWLEDGE OF SHELLFISH IN AUSTRALIA

Abstract: Throughout the world, there has been increasing recognition of the importance of Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK), held by First Nations peoples, and its incorporation in shellfish aquaculture and coastal management. In Australia, however, this understanding and incorporation of First Nations TEK of shellfish aquaculture and coastal management is in its infancy. In contrast to Australia, in Aotearoa (New Zealand), there is a rich history of knowledge of shellfish, understanding of cultural practices and the use of stories and ancestral sayings. We reviewed the current state of incorporation of TEK of shellfish in both Australia and Aotearoa. We find that TEK in Aotearoa has improved aquaculture and provides evidence of the value of incorporating TEK in the production of shellfish. We are only now just beginning the journey in Australia to understand and document TEK and practices held by First Nations people. Aotearoa provides valuable lessons on the importance of TEK and guidance for the respectful incorporation of TEK into shellfish aquaculture and coastal management in Australia. If we are to appropriately restore and manage our coasts, then we need to incorporate First Nations Australians knowledge, and respect and protect their connections to traditional sea management.

WHEN:  MONDAY 4TH APRIL 2022
START:   5.30PM
Location:
Zoom:
F23 Michael Spence Building, Level 1, Room 501
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/86947851186
All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free
Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this list<*|UNSUB|*>