[SydPhil] Winter school in digital humanities (corpus analysis) at Macquarie (June 28-July 1)

Mark Alfano mark.alfano at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:27:43 AEDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

I'm writing to let you know that, along with Colin Klein (ANU), Marc Cheong
(Melbourne), and Justin Sytsma (Victoria Wellington), I will be
hosting a *winter school on
corpus analysis* at Macquarie University's city campus (123 Pitt Street,
level 24) on June 28-July 1.

We will be reprising and updating a workshop that we helped to teach
remotely last year for a primarily Swiss audience (
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/yR_TCk81N9tn6JV31C2xuJJ?domain=sites.google.com. Each day will comprise two
2-hour intensive seminars from 10 AM to noon and from 2 PM to 4 PM. Below
is a thumbnail sketch of the curriculum:

*Day 1 morning: *Sytsma introduces the brave new world of corpus analysis
and catalogues some of the work that's already been done using this
methodology in philosophy

*Day 1 afternoon: *applied session getting everyone to download and install
R, R Studio, and R Markdown. If time permits, a few short demos

*Day 2 morning: *Sytsma demonstrates corpus analysis on causal
attributions, including reproduction of this work by students

*Day 2 afternoon:* Alfano introduces students to the quanteda corpus
analysis suite in R

*Day 3 morning:* Alfano introduces linguistic inquiry and word count (LIWC)
and the LIWCalike package in R

*Day 3 afternoon: *Alfano and Cheong teach construction of custom
dictionaries (e.g., toxic masculinity dictionaries, morality-as-cooperation
dictionaries, qanon dictionary, covid dictionaries)

*Day 4 morning: *Alfano introduces the ggplot package in R using Twitter
data about the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020

*Day 4 afternoon:* Whole team introduces custom corpus construction,
including the use of APIs

The curriculum is designed for philosophers who have an interest in but *no
prior experience* with corpus analysis or coding. Our goal is to enable
philosophers in Australasia to start using these methods in their own
research, and we are committed to providing ongoing support and advice to
anyone who attends.

If you or any of your students is interested in attending, *please send me
an email*. Financial support is available to help defray costs for students
and early career researchers to travel to and pay for lodging in Sydney. In
order to ensure that all participants receive sufficient attention, we will
cap participation at 20 students.

Best wishes,

Mark

--
Mark Alfano, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Philosophy, Macquarie University