[SydPhil] Prof Karyn Lai - Agora Speaker Series, Thursday 24 March 2022

Sally Cole cole at uow.edu.au
Mon Mar 21 11:35:59 AEDT 2022

The School of Liberal Arts, University of Wollongong invites you to attend the

Agora Speaker Series

Thursday 24 March, 3.30 to 5.00pm
This is an in-person event at the University of Wollongong - Register here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1OcvCL7EwMfPpkzQocBIAZF?domain=uow.au1.qualtrics.com>

Professor Karyn Lai (University of New South Wales)

Are you equipped to be free? Some reflections from Daoist philosophy

Freedom is a fundamental aspect of human life, to the extent that we consider the deprivation of certain freedoms a moral wrong. An ancient Daoist text, the Zhuangzi (4th c BCE), was deeply critical of the approaches to government in its day, suggesting that they promoted a way of life that was akin to binding people in shackles. By contrast, there are many images in the Zhuangzi of a life that is free, of soaring birds, and of people with remarkable achievements because their lives are not rule- or norm-governed. But a critical question arises for readers of the Zhuangzi: how can we be free? In other words, without our former guides on how life should be lived, what informs our actions and decisions? Are there new principles to replace the old, or are there now no limits to our actions? How can we equip ourselves to make the most of this new-found freedom? I discuss the Zhuangzi's stories which present models of how we can freely navigate the world.

The Agora Speaker Series is proudly hosted by

The School of Liberal Arts

Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities

University of Wollongong

NSW 2522 Australia

SOLA Enquiries sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au<mailto:sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au>

T +61 2 4221 4160