[SydPhil] Hannah Tierney (UC Davis): 'Don't Burst my Blame Bubble', UNSW Philosophy Seminar, 20th July 12:30-2pm (on Zoom)

Heikki Ikaheimo h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 14:14:46 AEST 2021

[cid:image001.png at 01D777E6.26B37EC0]

UNSW PHILOSOPHY SEMINAR SERIES 2021

Speaker: Hannah Tierney (UC Davis)

[cid:image002.png at 01D778B5.040B6BB0]

Title: Don’t Burst My Blame Bubble

Abstract: Blame abounds in our everyday lives, perhaps no more so than on social media. With the rise of social networking platforms, we have access to more information about others’ blameworthy behaviour and larger audiences to whom we can express our blame. But these audiences, while large, are typically not diverse. Social media tends to create what I call “blame bubbles”: systems in which expressions of blame are shared amongst agents with similar moral outlooks while dissenting views are excluded. Many have criticised the blame expressed on social media, arguing that it is often unfitting, excessive, and counterproductive. In this talk, I’ll argue that while blame bubbles can be guilty of these charges, they are also well placed to do important moral work. I’ll then attempt to identify the causal source of these bad-making features and explore potential structural interventions that can make blame bubbles better at performing their moral function and less likely to generate harmful consequences.

Presenter: Hannah Tierney is Assistant Professor in the Department of Philosophy at the University of California, Davis. She writes mainly on issues of free will, moral responsibility, and personal identity. For more information about her work, see: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MNTiCVARKgCx4o6xZSGr6bd?domain=philosophy.ucdavis.edu

20th July 2021

12.30 pm – 2 pm

This event is free.

Click Here for Zoom Link<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lGe9CWLVXkU5pmK54CxW8ul?domain=unsw.zoom.us>

Enquiries: Heikki Ikäheimo h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au<mailto:h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au>

School of Humanities and Languages

Follow Us

[UNSW Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/P0lJCXLW2mUX6oRX9cD5sAs?domain=facebook.com>

[UNSW Instagram]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/5VUdCYW8NocL02qL9uV-MSh?domain=instagram.com>

[UNSW LinkedIn]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZV7WCZY1Nqi5m9L5jCx54Y7?domain=linkedin.com>

[UNSW Twitter]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3gvEC1WLPxcMjNoMZf1PVHY?domain=twitter.com>

[UNSW WeChat]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4H7HC2xMQzipxzXpmsX93HC?domain=international.unsw.edu.au>

[UNSW Weibo]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1UxdC3QNPBip8zlp4sEtpda?domain=weibo.com>

[UNSW YouTube]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/rsOsC4QOPEiBjKOB8I3Tn38?domain=youtube.com>

[UNSW TikTok]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/qUncC5QPXJiZnL7ZlU9OkdL?domain=tiktok.com>

Copyright © 2021 UNSW Sydney. All rights reserved. CRICOS Provider Code 00098G