[SydPhil] CFP extended for Screening Virtue Workshop

Sylvie Magerstaedt sylvie.magerstaedt at nd.edu.au
Tue Jul 13 15:36:05 AEST 2021

As I'm aware that many of us had to adjust in recent weeks to the renewed lockdown, we have extended the deadline for papers for the following workshop to Monday 19 July:

CFP: 'Screening Virtue - What can films and television shows teach us about virtues?'

This one-day workshop at The University of Notre Dame Australia in Sydney will explore the philosophical, cinematic and educational aspects of exploring virtue through fictional film and television programmes.

When Friday, 27th August 2021 (AEST)

Where: University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney Broadway Campus (exact location tbc), with all or parts of the workshop being also live-streamed via Zoom

Keynote Speaker: Prof Joseph Kupfer (Iowa State University) - via zoom

Fictional films and television programs can entertain, uplift, distract and educate us, but could they also help to make us better people? This workshop is part of an ongoing research project that aims to bring together moral philosophy with film and television studies in order to demonstrate how fictional film and television can help us deepen and expand our understanding of the virtues and how they can be cultivated.

Topics for this workshop include (but are not limited to):

  *   Looking at individual virtues and the ways in which fictional screen media can offer us new insights
  *   Discussing what film and television can - and cannot - teach us about virtues
  *   Representations of vices and their correlating virtues on screen
  *   Investigating the potential applications of these fictional screen representations for character education

The workshop particularly aims to encourage a discussion of virtues across disciplines and we welcome proposals from a range of disciplines, in particular philosophy, theology and religious studies, film and television studies and education.

This workshop is part of a collaborative project between researchers in the School of Arts and Sciences and the Institute for Ethics and Society at The University of Notre Dame Australia.

Short proposals (ca. 300 words) for 20 minute papers either to be presented in person at the workshop or for participation via zoom should be sent to Dr Sylvie Magerstädt (sylvie.magerstaedt at nd.edu.au<mailto:sylvie.magerstaedt at nd.edu.au>) by 09 19 July 2021. If you have any queries about this workshop, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

If you like to attend without presenting a paper, you are most welcome. We will send out an event announcement later this month but you are welcome to drop me a line to regster your interest.

Best wishes
Sylvie
Dr Sylvie Magerstaedt, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Film and Media
School of Arts and Sciences
University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney

Recent Publication
'TV Antiquity - Swords, sandals, blood and sand' (2019, Manchester University Press)

The University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney acknowledges the original custodians of this land, the Cadigal people of the Eora nation, and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. For they hold the memories, the traditions, the culture and hopes of Aboriginal Australia.

Disclaimer