[SydPhil] Call for Participation – '@RISK: Knowledge Practices, Environmental Crisis & Environmental Action'

Daniele Fulvi D.Fulvi at westernsydney.edu.au
Fri May 28 10:44:22 AEST 2021

Dear List members,
we are delighted to announce the Call for Participation in the Podcast Series (2021) and Symposium (24-25 February 2022) "@RISK: Knowledge Practices, Environmental Crisis & Environmental Action".
@RISK is a project funded by The Seed Box<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/x9aiCVARKgCxzEW8MhGfL92?domain=theseedbox.se> – A Mistra-Formas Environmental Humanities Collaboratory and the ARC Centre of Excellence in Synthetic Biology<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NUJMCWLVXkU5NQM80FxQbGi?domain=coesb.com.au>, and is supported by the Institute for Culture and Society, WSU.
@RISK provides a platform for researchers, policy makers, practitioners and activists who want to engage with this topic outside of their disciplinary or institutional constraints, are already doing so, and/or, have always done so. Why is this? And at what risk to them, and the expertise of those disciplines and their professional roles, do they do so?

We invite anyone who may be interested to participate as a symposium presenter, panelist, poster creator and/or podcast interviewee, and contribute your risk concerns in relation to one or more of the following interrelated themes:

  1.  Knowledge practices - what risks do we take with what we know and how we know it<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/cAfICXLW2mUXkg8ZmfDilKt?domain=sciencedirect.com>? Examples include working beyond one’s disciplinary expertise, generating un/stable facts<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RdoQCYW8NocLjvnX5uVV9ZA?domain=sciencedirect.com>, harnessing/rejecting the creative arts, and making reflexivity more accountable<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/F69bCZY1Nqi5XwkYzFxdFkH?domain=sciencedirect.com>.
  2.  Environmental crisis - the existential risks posed not only to humans<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AJTwC1WLPxcML0PX8T1btT9?domain=mitpress.mit.edu>, but to the more-than-human world<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/rvTHC2xMQzip04BQ7fXKf0b?domain=cambridge.org> as a result of human action. How can we identify them and learn from them? Let alone understand and respond to them appropriately<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/EsS9C3QNPBipWPyvZfEwgZq?domain=tandfonline.com>?
  3.  Environmental action - what risks arise from seeking to take meaningful action? Including in our institutions<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/a8etC4QOPEiBRnDxrF3-BH2?domain=sciencedirect.com>, amongst colleagues, and with our social and biophysical environments. For example, asserting Indigenous peoples’ authority in contexts framed otherwise<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IX0wC5QPXJiZwzX1AU9Labu?domain=adastracomix.com>.
  4.  Technoscientific interventions - what promises, potentials and pitfalls arise from seeking action through technoscience? In such arenas as synthetic biology<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nOdJC6XQ4LfrZgpJXIvHOl5?domain=mdpi.com>, assisted evolution<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6dgMC71R2NTAn08YLcPNxpJ?domain=conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com>, & climate engineering<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nHTuC81V0PT6BA2g9iyk0VK?domain=journals.sagepub.com>.

Please find the detailed Call for Participation attached to this message.

The Symposium will be held at the WSU Parramatta CBD campus, or, pending any COVID-19 restrictions, online. Virtual presentations can be pre-recorded or live.

Co-conveners: Dr Josh Wodak & Dr Jessica Weir, Institute for Culture & Society, WSU
Keynote Speakers: A/Prof Katerina Teaiwa (ANU) and Prof Juan Salazar (WSU)

For symposium inquiries contact Daniele Fulvi: D.Fulvi at westernsydney.edu.au<mailto:D.Fulvi at westernsydney.edu.au>
For podcast inquiries contact Gretchen Miller: gretchenmillermedia at gmail.com<mailto:gretchenmillermedia at gmail.com>

Thanks,
Daniele Fulvi
@RISK Symposium co-ordinator and Research Officer, Institute for Culture and Society – Western Sydney University node of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Synthetic Biology

I acknowledge that the land on which I live and work is stolen land. That the Darug People of the Darug Nation have never ceded their sovereignty on these lands, and that treaties are yet to be negotiated.
I additionally acknowledge the Darug People's living culture, knowledge and struggle in this region.
I pledge my ongoing solidarity with the traditional owners, and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples, in their struggle for recognition of sovereignty, historical truths and justice.