[SydPhil] Talk on David Stove, Glebe Realists, Mar 30

James Franklin j.franklin at unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 23 18:24:10 AEDT 2021

To Sydphil

I will speak to the Glebe Realists on
David Stove (1927-1994), Sydney philosopher: Life and work
on Tues March 30 at 4 for 4.30-6
Venue: Benledi Room, Glebe Library, 186 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe

Abstract: I will introduce the life and work of the Sydney University philosopher David Stove. The central idea of his technical work was that probabilistic arguments were a kind of logic. That led him to an account of why induction is rational and an attack on the "irrationalism" of leading philosophers of science such as Popper and Kuhn. In later life his controversial opinions on the intellectual (in)equality of women and the defects of Darwinian theory created trouble.

James Franklin
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/eEKEC0YKPviG2nO7rUw_N6i?domain=maths.unsw.edu.au

PS: The talk I gave to the Glebe Realists last year on David Armstrong is available as video (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/sRY1CgZ0N1iAlvXoYCoWJcN?domain=youtube.com) and text (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RLVACjZ1N7injzLBys50CQX?domain=web.maths.unsw.edu.au)