[SydPhil] 2 PhD scholarships in philosophy at the University of Sydney

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 08:57:15 AEDT 2020

We are very pleased to announce two PhD scholarships in philosophy
The deadline for applications in January 9, and interested parties should contact either Mark Colyvan or Kristie Miller, depending on which project they are interested in joining.
The first scholarship is to work on a project on Risk and Rational Decision.
The project lies at the intersection of logic, decision theory, and philosophy of probability. Central questions include: how should we approach risky decisions (especially those with a small probability of a catastrophic outcome)?; is standard probability theory the best way to represent uncertainty?; how should we represent uncertainty about uncertainty (e.g., “unknown unknowns”)? Such questions are central to philosophical work on risk but they’re also important for applications of decision theory to public policy, management decisions, and public perceptions of risk. Relevant examples include: the recent Australian bushfires, the COVID-19 pandemic, the current mass extinction crisis, and climate change. We would welcome project proposals that explore the social relevance of risk as well as more technical proposals looking at philosophical and mathematical issues in risk management.
To be successful in your PhD application you will have (i) a strong background in philosophy generally and especially in the more technical areas of philosophy (e.g., logic, decision theory, and formal epistemology), (ii) a well-developed and feasible research proposal, (iii) strong letters of reference and (iv) an ability to undertake original research.

 Full details can be found at
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KBQvC3QNPBiKRjNQfg1rkV?domain=sydney.edu.au <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KBQvC3QNPBiKRjNQfg1rkV?domain=sydney.edu.au>
The second scholarship is to work on a project on Time, Consciousness and Rationality.
Our lives are lived in, and across time. Almost all aspects of our experiences are tied to temporality in some way, including, perhaps, the very ways that we reason about our future.
The project, housed within the Department of Philosophy <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/OVjxC4QOPEi57Zk1Uxgctb?domain=sydney.edu.au> and the interdisciplinary Centre for Time <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wYpEC5QPXJi9WyNGHynH1L?domain=sydney.edu.au>, lies at the intersection of metaphysics and mind. It focuses on the connection between the temporal dimension, our temporal experiences, the structure of our cross-temporal preferences and the ways we reason about our future.

It asks, first, what is the nature of temporal phenomenology? Second, what is the connection between features of the temporal dimension and our temporal experiences? Third, how does our experience of time impact our cross-temporal preferences?

This project is one of the first to bring together empirical methods from psychology and experimental philosophy to begin to answers these questions.

To be successful in your PhD application you will have a major in philosophy.

Full details can be found at: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RlK9C6XQ4LfmGRwKU5q1UV?domain=sydney.edu.au <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RlK9C6XQ4LfmGRwKU5q1UV?domain=sydney.edu.au>

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
ARC Future Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14