[SydPhil] Macquarie Uni, expertise talk: 2pm Tues Feb 18

John Sutton john.sutton at mq.edu.au
Tue Feb 11 22:10:19 AEDT 2020

This talk next week may be of interest to some philosophers. All welcome. Enquiries to Kirk Olsen, kirk.olsen at mq.edu.au

________________________________
From: Kirk Olsen <kirk.olsen at mq.edu.au>
Subject: Upcoming CEPET Colloquium: 2pm, Tuesday February 18, MQ Hearing Hub Room 1.602

Dear colleagues,
You are invited to attend the first CEPET (Centre for Elite Performance, Expertise, and Training) colloquium of 2020, next Tuesday February 18, 2pm, in room 1.602 of the Australian Hearing Hub, 16 University Avenue, Macquarie Uni.

Professor Stephen Fiore (University of Central Florida) will speak about: 'Expert Teams and Team Science: Examining Complex Collaborative Cognition in Scientific Teamwork'. Details below and also on the CEPET events website<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/sitUCVAGXPtxLK9k0cG-dNT?domain=mq.edu.au>. Please circulate to colleagues who may be interested.

We hope to see you there!
Regards,
Kirk

—

Centre for Elite Performance, Expertise, and Training (CEPET) 2020 Colloquia Series

Prof Stephen Fiore, Department of Philosophy and School of Modeling, Simulation, and Training, University of Central Florida, USA

Dr. Stephen M. Fiore is Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, and Professor with the University of Central Florida's Cognitive Sciences Program in the Department of Philosophy and School of Modeling, Simulation, and Training. He maintains a multidisciplinary research interest that incorporates aspects of the cognitive, social, organizational, and computational sciences in the investigation of learning and performance in individuals and teams. His primary area of research is the interdisciplinary study of complex collaborative cognition and the understanding of how humans interact socially and with technology. He has contributed to working groups for the National Academies of Sciences in understanding and measuring "21st Century Skills" and was a committee member of their "Science of Team Science" consensus study, as well as a member of the National Assessment of Educational Progress report on "Collaborative Problem Solving”. As Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator he has helped to secure and manage approximately $25 million in research funding. He is co-author of a book on “Accelerating Expertise” (2013) and is a co-editor of volumes on Shared Cognition (2012), Macrocognition in Teams (2008), Distributed Training (2007), and Team Cognition (2004). Dr. Fiore has also co-authored over 200 scholarly publications in the area of learning, memory, and problem solving on individuals and groups.

  *   Title: Expert Teams and Team Science:  Examining Complex Collaborative Cognition in Scientific Teamwork
  *   Where: Room 1.602, Level 1, Hearing Hub Building, Macquarie University
  *   When: Tuesday, February 18, 2020
  *   Time: 2-3pm
  *   RSVP: Kirk Olsen (kirk.olsen at mq.edu.au<mailto:kirk.olsen at mq.edu.au>)
  *   Abstract: Science has long recognized the challenges associated with research crossing disciplinary boundaries – from the tacit norms associated with the discipline bound university department to the difficulty inherent in communicating and collaborating across disciplines. And, as scholars around the world increasingly collaborate on problems of ever-expanding complexity, we continue to struggle with overcoming the challenges arising from such interactions. This is a particularly complex form of collaborative cognition where knowledge from varied fields needs to be elicited and integrated. In this talk, I begin with a discussion of interdisciplinary research in the context of team science. I focus on developments in the science of team science that can support a broad swath of group and team researchers such that we can examine basic and applied issues of tremendous societal importance. I then provide a multi-level perspective on this topic. First, I address the challenges individuals face when working on science teams (e.g., scholarly identity). Second, I describe a set of the group dynamics that influence scientific collaboration (e.g., conflict and communicating across disciplines). Third, I review the organizational and institutional factors impinging on teams collaborating across departments (e.g., training and development). My goal is to provide an overview of macro- and micro-level perspectives on collaboration in science and provide a way forward for conducting interdisciplinary research addressing some of the most pressing scientific problems of our time.

—

Dr Kirk N. Olsen

Postdoctoral Researcher and Web Developer, Department of Psychology, Faculty of Human Sciences
Associate Member & Centre Manager: Research & Engagement, Centre for Elite Performance, Expertise & Training
Lab Manager, Music, Sound & Performance Research Group
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Sydney, Australia
Room: Hearing Hub, 3.410
Phone: +61 2 9850 9430
Web: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/TDLkCWLJY7i5gYGXzhx5r0r?domain=kirkolsen.weebly.com