[SydPhil] Michael Duncan, Thursday @ 3.00 " Is the principle of indifference really inconsistent?"

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 10:01:03 AEDT 2019

Thursday @ 3.00 in the Muniment Room

Michael Duncan

Title: Is the principle of indifference really inconsistent?

Abstract: The principle of indifference, which says that the probabilities of two or more events are equal if there is no known reason to think that one will occur rather than any one of the others, appears to give inconsistent results in certain problem cases (the book paradox, Bertrand's chord problem, the perfect cube factory problem, the water-wine paradox). As a result, it is widely held to be false. I will attempt a general solution to the problem, which I hope might go some way towards saving the principle of indifference.

All welcome.

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
ARC Future Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14