[SydPhil] Carrie Figdor: “Towards a Non-Anthropocentric Psychology” Thursday @ 3.00 in the Muniment Room, Main Quad

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 11 21:15:46 AEST 2019

“Towards a Non-Anthropocentric Psychology”

Do fruit flies and slime moulds make decisions, or neurons have preferences? One might think the answers are obviously “No”, but this is ambiguous: there is the conceptual claim that such psychological claims can’t possibly be true, and the empirical claim that we have evidence that they are false. This talk is about the conceptual issue, which invokes the problem of conceptual anthropocentrism in psychology. My response to this problem is to show how research throughout biology is moving us towards a non-anthropocentric psychology.

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
ARC Future Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14