[SydPhil] HPS Seminar Series S2 - QBism and the Limits of Scientific Realism

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Mon Aug 5 11:52:34 AEST 2019

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/F5MxC91ZkQt66YPDhoTF2s?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
Held in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
SEMESTER TWO
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
MONDAY 12TH AUGUST 2019

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bS9eC0YZWVF99rlpsDabZj?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]
DR DAVID GLICK
HONORARY ASSOCIATE IN PHILOSOPHY
University of Sydney

QBism and the Limits of Scientific Realism

QBism (formerly “Quantum Bayesianism") is an agent-centered interpretation of quantum theory. It rejects the notion that quantum theory provides a God's eye description of reality and claims instead that it imposes constraints on agents' subjective degrees of belief. QBism's emphasis on subjective belief has led critics to dismiss it as antirealism or instrumentalism, or even, idealism or solipsism. The aim of this talk is to consider the relation of QBism to scientific realism. I argue that while QBism is an unhappy fit with a standard way of thinking about realism, an alternative conception I call "perspectival normative realism" may allow for a reconciliation.

WHERE:  LEVEL 5 FUNCTION ROOM
                F23 NEW ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
WHEN:  MONDAY 12TH AUGUST 2019
START: 5.30PM

All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free
PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR ANY CHANGES TO VENUE OR TIME
sydney.edu.au/science/hps/
Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this list<*|UNSUB|*>