[SydPhil] USyd Wednesday Seminar Series

Seb Sg sequoiah at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 15:04:52 AEST 2019

Mark Schroeder (USC)

Date: August 7, 2019

Time: 15:30 - 17:00

Location: Muniment Room
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/aN_nCr8DLRtzyE0qu7GOnu?domain=maps.google.com>

Title: Relationship Pathologies Abstract: This talk will be about how
people – even well-meaning people – can fail to understand one another in
ways that are systematically difficult to escape. The systematic lack of
understanding in which I am interested is plausibly manifested in the
extreme political polarization that we see in the twenty-first century. But
it is also plausibly manifested is less extreme forms even within loving
relationships. My goal in the talk is to offer a rationalizing explanation
of one way in which such mutual misunderstandings can manifest – one that
makes intelligible how even loving and well-meaning people can fail to
fully understand one another. The key ingredient in this explanation is an
account of a novel and underappreciated kind of silencing.

--
Sebastian Sequoiah-Grayson
Lecturer in Logic, Epistemology, and Metaphysics