[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar 6th May - Dr Bradley Garrett - Building for Collapse: Doomsday Bunkers as Temporal Transport.

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Tue Apr 30 09:34:18 AEST 2019

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/59GpCxnMRvtk3yAvs8yb_Z?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY

AND PHILOSOPHY

OF SCIENCE
Held in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
SEMESTER ONE 2019
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
MONDAY 6th May 2019

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/yrQYCyoNVrcZRgMouMVeY1?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

DR BRADLEY GARRETT
University of Sydney Research Fellow<http://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2016/11/02/11-outstanding-early-career-researchers-join-the-university.html> based in the School of Geosciences and the Sydney Environment Institute.

Building for Collapse: Doomsday Bunkers as Temporal Transport.
A fresh iteration of an old architectural form is emerging across the world: the bunker is once again fashionable. Contemporary bunkers conjoin Cold War state ideologies of deep excavation in anticipation of wide-scale human-induced disaster with notions of sustainability and techno-fetishism. This has ushered in new architectural forms such as the eco-fortress, the panic room, the hardened suburb and the soilscraper. At the core of each is the figure of the doomsday prepper. Preppers anticipate and actively attempt to adapt to an inevitable but unspecified impending calamity. I argue that contemporary prepper communities - with whom I have been conducting ethnographic research as part of a Sydney Fellowship - emerged from the merging of survivalist anti-state libertarian political philosophy and a Mormon communitarian eschatology, both responding to neoliberal capitalism. Whilst rooted in the Western United States, the prepper ideology now has global influence, refracting (strikingly in spatial and material terms) the extinction-level problems we are failing to address as a species. In the prepper ideology, which I call Chrysalism, adaptation supplants mitigation as a primary course of action. Thus, the bunker is more speculative than reactionary and more temporal than spatial. It is both an ark to cross through catastrophe and a womb from which to be reborn. The bunker may be back in style, but there’s nothing retrograde about this architecture of dread.

WHERE: LEVEL 5 FUNCTION ROOM F23
(NEW) ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
AT THE ENTRANCE TO CITY ROAD
CAMPERDOWN CAMPUS
WHEN: MONDAY 6th May 2019
START: 5.30PM

All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free

Copyright © *2019* *School of HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this list<*|UNSUB|*>