[SydPhil] 'Inner West Council Philosophy Talk', Mark Colyvan (USyd): “Living in a Fine Tuned Universe: A User’s Guide", Tuesday, April 16, 6:30pm-7:45pm, Leichhardt Library.

Simon Lumsden s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au
Tue Apr 9 15:44:08 AEST 2019

Details of the Next “Inner West Council Philosophy Talk"

Title: “Living in a Fine Tuned Universe: A User’s Guide"”

Speaker:  Prof. Mark Colyvan  (Philosophy, University of Sydney)

Abstract:

It seems that the conditions required for carbon-based life to arise a universe like ours are very specific. Various physical constants need to “fine-tuned” to precise ranges for there to be carbon-based life. In short, it looks exceedingly unlikely that we should be here. Yet here we are! Cosmologists, philosophers, theologians, and the general public wonder about what to make of the fine tuning of our universe. Explanations of the fine tuning range from designers with fetishes for carbon-based life to multiple universes. In this talk I will discuss some of the weird and wonderful hypotheses offered as explanations for why we are here.

Tuesday, April 16
6:30pm - 7:45pm
Free event - All welcome - Light refreshments provided
Bookings online or call 9367 9266

Full details as well as registration for the event are available from this link:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wQUyC6X13RtjpgpQHpP4oh?domain=eventbrite.com.au
If the event booking says that it is fully booked please still attend as many people who register do not show up on the night.

BIO
Mark Colyvan is Professor of Philosophy and Philosophy of Mathematics, University of Sydney; Humboldt Fellow and Visiting Professor, Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Germany.

Upcoming talks:

"Philosophy of Happiness”, Thursday 16 May, 6.30 – 7.45 pm: Leichhardt Library, Caroline West (Uni of Sydney)

“TBA”, Thursday July 18, 6.30 – 7.45 pm: Leichhardt Library, Melissa Merritt (UNSW)

“Political discourse in an age of polarisation”, Thursday August 15, 6.30 – 7.45 pm: Leichhardt Library, Chris Flemming (WSU)

Simon Lumsden
(Inner West Council philosophy talks program coordinator)

Simon Lumsden | Philosophy
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of New South Wales | Sydney | NSW 2052 | Australia
work + 61 2 9385 2369
s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au<mailto:s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au>
https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/simon-lumsden/