[SydPhil] UNSW Philosophy Seminar: Luara Ferracioli (USyd) on Moral Parenthood and Moral Commitment. April 9, 12.30-2pm

Heikki Ikaheimo h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au
Wed Apr 3 17:57:48 AEDT 2019

[cid:3726f937-3daa-4365-bfcf-a8a192c1fe6e]

Moral Parenthood and Moral Commitment

Hosted by the
School of Humanities & Languages (Philosophy)

Abstract: In this paper I focus on the following question: what gives a person a moral right to parent a particular child? I first argue that the correct answer to this question must (i) take seriously the interests of both parents and children, (ii) include the claims of adoptive parents, and (iii) do justice to the entirety of the parent-child relationship. I then put forward a novel account of moral parenthood that meets all of these conditions. I call this account the commitment account. On this account, a moral parent is not someone who merely consents to the parental role or who merely played a role in the child’s existence; rather, a moral parent is someone who engages in certain kinds of moral actions due to a recognition of the value of the parent-child relationship.

Bio: Dr Luara Ferracioli is Lecturer in Political Philosophy at the University of Sydney and a Researcher in Political Theory at the University of Amsterdam. Her research focuses on the philosophy of immigration and the philosophy of the family, broadly conceived. Her most recent work has been published in the Journal of Legal Studies and Philosophical Studies.

[cid:1fea4e6c-7736-4115-a653-56e07633d9c8]

Speaker:
Luara Ferracioli,
University of Sydney

Event Details:

Tuesday, 9 April 2019
12:30 – 2:00 pm
Room 221, John Goodsell,
Kensington Campus, UNSW

No RSVP required.

Map reference: F20<http://fmtoolbox.unsw.edu.au/comms/KensingtonCampus.pdf>

Contact: Heikki Ikaheimo
e: h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au<mailto:h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au>

UNSW Arts & Social Sciences
UNSW Sydney,
NSW 2052
Australia
arts.unsw.edu.au<https://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Code 00098G, ABN 57 195 873 179

[cid:3dee8f18-6620-4e55-87c1-f0aa9c340e92]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gnfUCP7yOZt8VyoGtz2_62?domain=facebook.com>

[cid:39a341e6-d7ff-4507-8afc-e37edfe49198]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0q1uCQnzP0tMZz3AIPtunk?domain=twitter.com>

[cid:7ec50a15-c4f5-4116-bb78-5a80758e27b5]<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7071691>