[SydPhil] David Newheiser, Rehabilitating the sacred

John Hadley john.hadley at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 2 09:27:51 AEDT 2019

Philosophy at westernsydney - Seminar

David Newheiser, ACU Melbourne

"Rehabilitating the Sacred: On Economic and Negative Theology"

Giorgio Agamben argues that, whether it derives from religious worship or national identity, reverence for the sacred functions to neutralize resistance. In response, I claim that a concern for transcendence can intensify critique. By retrieving the tradition of negative theology, I show that it is possible to affirm the special significance of particular texts and traditions while maintaining an ethical discipline that loosens their authority. Where political movements sometimes find it difficult to move from critique to construction, a negative political theology affirms particular policies while maintaining a utopian negativity.

Date/Time: Wednesday 10 April 2019, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm– All Welcome
Place: Western Sydney University, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.54 [How to get to Bankstown Campus] <http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

 <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/q8tfCwVLQmiJlmOWsVjXyX?domain=facebook.com>Connect with us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/philosophyuws <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iWysCxnMRvtnEVG3SvyLV3?domain=facebook.com>

For further information, please visit: www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy <http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy>