[SydPhil] 'Inner West Council Philosophy Talk', Millicent Churcher (USyd): “Adam Smith: A philosopher for our time? ", Thursday, February 21, 6:30pm-7:45pm, Leichhardt Library.

Simon Lumsden s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au
Mon Feb 18 19:54:04 AEDT 2019

Details of the Next “Inner West Council Philosophy Talk"

Title: “Adam Smith: A philosopher for our time?”

Speaker: Dr  Millicent Churcher  (Philosophy, University of Sydney)

Abstract:

 Adam Smith (1723-1790) occupies an ambivalent place in contemporary thought. Lauded for his work on economics and sympathy, Smith also stands accused of racism and sexism, and as having championed the kind of free market capitalism responsible for rising inequality and civil unrest. In this talk I dispel some of the common myths surrounding Smith’s moral and economic outlook, and explore the value and limits of his work as a resource for addressing some of the most pressing issues of our time.

Thursday, February 21
6:30pm - 7:45pm
Leichhardt Library (Piazza Level - Italian Forum, 23 Norton St, Leichhardt)
Free event - All welcome - Light refreshments provided
Bookings online or call 9367 9266

Full details as well as registration for the event are available from this link:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZrtgCMwvLQTygoxNtwiYEO?domain=eventbrite.com.au

If the event booking says that it is fully booked please still attend as many people who register do not show up on the night.

BIO
Dr. Millicent Churcher is a postdoctoral research fellow in philosophy at the University of Sydney.

Upcoming talks:
"What is Critical Theory?” Thursday 21 March 6.30-7.45 pm: Marrickville Library John Grumley (Uni of Sydney)
“Beauty, Art and Democracy” Thursday 18 April 6.30 – 7.45 pm: Leichhardt Library Luke Fischer (Uni of Sydney)
"Philosophy of Happiness” Thursday 16 May 6.30 – 7.45 pm: Leichhardt Library Caroline West (Uni of Sydney)

Simon Lumsden
(Inner West Council philosophy talks program coordinator)

Simon Lumsden | Philosophy
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of New South Wales | Sydney | NSW 2052 | Australia
work + 61 2 9385 2369
s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au<mailto:s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au>
https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/simon-lumsden/