[SydPhil] Steph Collins ACU Philosophy seminar series

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Mon Oct 22 12:47:40 AEDT 2018

ACU Philosophy Department Seminar Series, presents:

Stephanie Collins (Philosophy ACU)

Religious Exemptions for Organisations

Theorists of multiculturalism have long defended the idea that individuals' religious convictions sometimes justify exemptions from generally-applicable laws. Well-worn examples include Sikhs being exempt from motorcycle helmet laws, or Jews and Muslims being exempt from humane animal slaughter laws. This paper inquires into religious exemptions for organisations. A prime example is the exemption from anti-discrimination laws in hiring. I explore four pathways to organisations' religious exemptions and argue that only one of them works -- and even then, only with caveats.

DAY and TIME: Friday October 26, 2.30pm - 4 pm

WHERE: ACU’s Melbourne campus, 250 Victoria Parade, Level 4, room 460.2.80
Although Steph will speak at ACU’s Melbourne campus the presentation will be video-conferenced to:

Brisbane: 202.1.07;
Ballarat: 100.1.04;
Strathfield: 640.1.16
North Sydney: it is probably easiest for Sydney people to attend the North Sydney location, which is Tenison Woods House, 8-20 Napier St. Take the lift to Level 12, and proceed to the Vidconference room (or email me if unsure and I can meet you in the foyer of the building).

NB. Meeting ID for other campuses dialing in is 6133147

ALL WELCOME!

Steve Matthews (Stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au)