[SydPhil] MQ Work in Progress Seminar, Catarina Dutilh Novaes, Tue Aug 21, 1-2pm. Blackshield

Karola Stotz karola.stotz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:45:34 AEST 2018

*The Social Epistemology of Argumentation*

*Catarina Dutilh Novaes*

When: Tues Aug 21, 1-2 pm
Where: Blackshield Room

Humans are famously a highly social species, and without collaboration with
conspecifics a human being stands no chance to survive. At the same time,
we compete with one another for resources at multiple levels. This
combination of interdependence and competition means that exchange of
information and of epistemic resources more generally among humans becomes
a complex affair, involving both trust and vigilance. In my talk, I discuss
the role of argumentation in the circulation and production of epistemic
resources, relying on insights from social exchange theory, social
epistemology, and argumentation theory. In particular, I address the
conflicting evidence available on the effectiveness of argumentation for
the transfer of epistemic resources and to change people's minds, which
requires a nuanced account of what argumentation can and cannot do for us
as epistemic agents in social contexts.

Please contact Karola (karola.stotz at mq.edu.au) for questions or if you like
to give a talk yourself.

--
Karola Stotz
Senior Lecturer, TWCF Fellow
karola.stotz at mq.edu.au
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/8s15CoVzGQiZRxXlF1u2Af?domain=karolastotz.com

[image: Macquarie University] <http://mq.edu.au/>

Honorary Associate
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science
University of Sydney