[SydPhil] CAVE Seminar: Miranda Fricker (CUNY), "Ambivalence About Forgiveness, " Thursday, Macquarie

Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics arts.cave at mq.edu.au
Mon Aug 13 10:11:55 AEST 2018

Hi all,

A reminder that the Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics (CAVE) will host a seminar by Miranda Fricker (The Graduate Center, CUNY), entitled "Ambivalence About Forgiveness."

Abstract: Our ideas about forgiveness seem to oscillate between idealization and scepticism. One might think this simply indicates disagreement, or indecision, but I suspect not. I see these different attitudes as representing opposing moments of a collective moral ambivalence about forgiveness that is well grounded, and I aim to show that there is a philosophical angle on forgiveness capable of vindicating both of our opposing perspectives simultaneously. Once we are correctly positioned, we shall see an aspect of forgiveness that recommends precisely this ambivalence. For what will come into view will be certain key psychological mechanisms of moral-epistemic influence-other-addressed and self-addressed mechanisms of moral social construction-that enable forgiveness to function well when it is well-functioning, but which are also intrinsically prone to deterioration into one or another form of bad faith. Thus forgiveness is revealed as necessarily containing seeds of its own corruption, and ambivalence is proved a permanently appropriate attitude. Moreover, where the moral protagonists are relating in the context of asymmetries of social power, the practice of forgiveness is further compromised.

All welcome, no registration needed!

Kelly

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: mq.edu.au/cave<http://cave.mq.edu.au>