[SydPhil] JUSTIN OAKLEY PRESENTATION next Friday (July 27). ACU Philosophy Department Seminar Series

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Fri Jul 20 12:24:20 AEST 2018

ACU Philosophy Department Seminar Series, presents:

Justin Oakley (Monash Bioethics Centre)

'Empirically-informed medical virtue from the inside out and back again'

Abstract: In recent years there has been much work on applications of virtue ethics to medical practice, and various policy implications of this approach are now being investigated. Some of these accounts now draw on more empirically-informed approaches to virtue which have been articulated in contemporary philosophy. However, there has so far been little consideration of how these practical and policy applications of virtue ethics can in turn be used to shape a realistic and justifiable moral psychology of medical virtue. In this presentation I consider what these more empirically-informed applications of virtue ethics to medical practice and policy might demonstrate about the nature of medical virtues. In doing so I discuss what can reasonably be expected in plausible conceptions of medical virtues, which can then be used to evaluate medical practice and policy.

DAY and TIME: Friday July 27, 2.30pm - 4 pm

WHERE: Justin will speak at ACU’s Melbourne campus (address below) and the presentation will be video-conferenced to other campuses (details also below). For Sydney people, the best place to come is North Sydney: Tenison Woods House, 8-20 Napier St N. Syd. Take the lift to Level 12, and proceed to the Vidconference room (or email me - stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au - and I will meet you in the foyer of the building).

Brisbane: 202.1.07;
Ballarat: 100.1.04;
North Sydney: 532.12.24
Strathfield: 640.1.16

Location for Melbourne: Room 460.2.80 (250 Victoria Parade)

ALL WELCOME!