[SydPhil] Beauty conference

Matthew Del Nevo mdelnevo at cis.catholic.edu.au
Fri Jun 8 16:06:45 AEST 2018

Call for Papers
BIENNIAL CONFERENCE IN
PHILOSOPHY, RELIGION AND CULTURE

"Beauty and Tradition"

The theme is to be interpreted broadly and from within philosophy, theology, history, social science, literature and the arts.  The conference has been going since 1977, it bridges between theological colleges from all denominations and universities; submissions from young scholars are encouraged.
For further details, including proposal submission (deadline 20 July 2018), see website:
Web: http://www.cis.catholic.edu.au/news-a-events/biennial-conference
Or contact Matthew Del Nevo: mdelnevo at cis.catholic.edu.au<mailto:mdelnevo at cis.catholic.edu.au>

WHEN?                Friday 28th to 30th September 2018

WHERE?              Catholic Institute of Sydney, 99 Albert Rd, Strathfield NSW 2135

Keynote Speaker on the Friday night: Vrasidas Karalis,

Sir Nicholas Laurantos Chair in Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies. The University of Sydney. Author of Reflections on Presence (2016) and Realism in Greek Cinema (2016)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cejQuREMC4

"Only Beauty Will Save the World"

By discussing a variety of sources, from the Parthenon sculptures, the Byzantine Resurrection of Christ, Vladimir Soloviev, Patrick White's The Vivisector, the films of Carl Dreyer and the art of Bret Whitley we will try to explore what legitimises the quest for beauty and why its definition remains so elusive and ambiguous. Does beauty save us or we save beauty? Do we search for beauty because we want to seem beautiful? Are there beautiful things and moments or beauty as a universal principle? Or maybe beauty is temporal quality of convergence and consilience?

Convenors: Peter Forrest (UNE), Jim Harrison (SCD), Shane Mackinlay (CTC/UD), Matthew Del Nevo (CIS), Vicki Petrakis (Centre for Early Christian Studies), Richard Colledge (ACU), Angus Brook (UND), Ian Tregenza (Macquarie), John McDowell (UD).  Emeritus Conference Patron: Andrew Murray sm

Matthew Del Nevo
Associate Professor
Department of  Philosophy
Catholic Institute of Sydney
99 Albert Rd
Strathfield NSW 2135
Australia
Phone: + 612 9752 9504
Fax: + 612 9746 3998
http://www.cis.catholic.edu.au/faculty/faculty-staff-whos-who/99

A Member Institute of the Sydney College of Divinity
SCD CRICOS Registration 02948J