[SydPhil] corrected announcement

Sandra Jobson Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Thu Jun 7 20:25:13 AEST 2018

    BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM : SATURDAY JUNE 16

    NOTICE: In our previous announcement today of Dr Talia Morag's talk
    we inadvertently posted an incorrect biography of her.

    Her correct biographical details are:

    Dr. Talia Morag is postdoctoral fellow at Deakin University working
    on a project on implicit bias. Her main research interests are
    philosophical psychology, especially the philosophy of emotions,
    ethics, and the philosophical foundations of psychoanalysis, as well
    as philosophy of television.

      DR MORAG WILL BE SPEAKING ON:

      *SEX AND DEATH IN FREUD'S 'CIVILIZATION AND ITS DISCONTENTS'*

    Disillusioned about human nature after the Great War, Freud amended
    his theory that we are primarily motivated by sexual desires,
    proposing that we are equally motivated by aggression and desires
    for destruction. Although an admirer of civilization, Freud realizes
    it is not an expression of human inherent goodness, but rather a
    system of control, keeping violence at bay – with partial success.
    Civilization protects us from ourselves, but also causes us constant
    frustration, unhappiness, and neurosis. In this talk our speaker
    will present Freud’s main ideas in his celebrated and relevant book
    'Civilization and its Discontents'.