[SydPhil] 'Inner West Council Philosophy Talk', Markos Valaris (UNSW): “Your Brain and You“, Thursday May 31, 6:30-8:00pm, Leichhardt Library.

Simon Lumsden s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au
Fri May 25 15:34:19 AEST 2018

Details of the next “Inner West Council Philosophy Talk"

Title: “Your Brain and You“

Speaker: Dr Markos Valaris (UNSW)

Abstract:

When Descartes in his Meditations confronted the question “what am I?”, he famously answered “a thinking thing”, or a mind. He took this answer to be incompatible with the mind being a material thing at all. These days we are much more comfortable with taking our minds to be material, and essentially identifying them with our brains. This talk will examine both of these steps. Should we think of our minds as material? And, if so, should we think of them as exhaustively realised in our brains?

Thursday, May 31
6:30pm - 8pm
Leichhardt Library (Piazza Level - Italian Forum, 23 Norton St, Leichhardt)
Free event - All welcome - Light refreshments provided
Bookings online or call 9367 9266

Full details as well as registration for the event are available from this link: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IKGlCjZrzqHkN8o4FWtmbs?domain=eventbrite.com.au
If the event booking says that it is fully booked please still attend as many people who register do not show up on the night.

Upcoming talks:
July 26, Heikki Ikäheimo (UNSW) "What is ‘recognition’ and why isn’t there enough of it?"
Aug 9, Nicholas H. Smith (Macquarie), “Work in a Free Society”
August 23, Sarah Sorial (Wollongong), TBA

Simon Lumsden
(Inner West Council philosophy talks program coordinator)

Simon Lumsden | Philosophy
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of New South Wales | Sydney | NSW 2052 | Australia
work + 61 2 9385 2369
s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au<mailto:s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au>
https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/simon-lumsden/