[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Talk: Tuesday, 15 May, Blackshield Room: Luara Ferracioli (Syd)

Michael Olson michael.olson at mq.edu.au
Fri May 11 09:53:19 AEST 2018

Liberal Self-Determination and Immigration
Luara Ferracioli (Sydney)

Date: 15 May
Time: 13:00-14:00
Venue: Blackshield Room, W3A (6 First Walk) 501*
All welcome

*Note the changing venues this semester

Abstract: In this essay, I aim to develop one of the building blocks of a complete liberal theory of immigration by defending an account of the state’s right to exclude which has the resources to explain what is wrong with discriminatory exclusion in the area of immigration—that is, exclusion on the basis of morally arbitrary features, such as gender and race. Like other liberal partialists, I appeal to a right to self-determination to justify a state’s right to exclude. But unlike these theorists, I do not appeal to the alleged psychological harm of insult. My focus is instead on the liberal aspect of self-determination and the surprising ways in which liberal principles constrain the state’s right to both include and exclude prospective new members.

----------

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hochman at mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hochman at mq.edu.au>) or Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.olson at mq.edu.au>)

A calendar of other events in this series is available here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/JT1HCZYM2VFzk63yszlMz5?domain=michael-olson.com>. Updates are also posted on Twitter @MQPhilWiP

---

Dr Michael Olson
Lecturer, Modern European Philosophy

Department of Philosophy  |   2nd Floor, Australian Hearing Hub
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 6895<tel:%2B61%202%209850%206895>  |  arts.mq.edu.au<http://arts.mq.edu.au/>  |  www.michael-olson.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Aoy3C1WZXri8P47KIGHGZH?domain=michael-olson.com>

[cid:0A2B6DFB-5CD1-4783-9F76-DE022B68184D at mqauth.uni.mq.edu.au]

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>