[SydPhil] UNSW Philosophy & Practical Justice Initiative Seminar: David Coady (UTas) on 'Climate Change, Personal Responsibility, and Carbon Footprints', 24 April, 12.30-2 pm

Heikki Ikaheimo h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au
Wed Apr 18 00:10:25 AEST 2018

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/voEyCOMxNytljA3VSEs5dI?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

Philosophy & Practical Justice Initiative Seminar

Climate Change, Personal Responsibility, and Carbon Footprints

Speaker: David Coady, Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Tasmania

Abstract: I argue that, contrary to Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and a number of other authors, climate change gives rise to personal, not just political, obligations. Almost all reasonably affluent people (especially those living in the industrialised world) are obliged to limit their own carbon footprint. This is not an obligation that can readily be offset through political activity or any other kind of activity. The precise nature and extent of our obligation to limit our carbon footprint will depend to some extent on government policy.

About the speaker: David Coady is Senior Lecturer in philosophy at the University of Tasmania, Australia.  Most of his current work is on applied philosophy, especially applied epistemology. He has published on rumour, conspiracy theory, the blogosphere, expertise and democratic theory. He has also published on the metaphysics of causation, the philosophy of law, climate change, cricket ethics, police ethics, and the ethics of horror films. He is the author of What to Believe Now: Applying Epistemology to Contemporary Issues (2012), the co-author of The Climate Change Debate: an Epistemic and Ethical Enquiry (2013), the editor of Conspiracy Theories: the Philosophical Debate (2006) and the co-editor of A Companion to Applied Philosophy (2016) and the Routledge Handbook of Applied Epistemology (forthcoming in 2018).

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D3D58B.6674AFD0]