[SydPhil] CAVE Workshop: The ethics of pathologising ugliness, 19 March, MQ

Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics arts.cave at mq.edu.au
Thu Mar 15 09:39:50 AEDT 2018

Hi all,

The next Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics (CAVE) workshop is on Monday 19 March. All welcome, but please contact Yves<mailto:yves-saint-james.aquino at students.mq.edu.au> for catering purposes.

INTERDISCIPLINARY WORKSHOP ON THE ETHICS OF PATHOLOGISING UGLINESS
19 March 2018, Monday
10:00-16:30
The Incubator (8 Hadenfeld Ave), Macquarie University [S8 on campus map<https://www.mq.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/108142/Campus-Map.pdf>]

The aim of the workshop is to foster an interdisciplinary discussion on the ethics of pathologising ugliness. By “pathologising ugliness” we mean the process of reframing physical features deemed unattractive as disorders. Pathologisation of ugliness arises from the interplay of aesthetic, socio-cultural, legal and medical norms. Medical and surgical procedures that modify physical attributes purely for cosmetic reasons are increasing in scope and frequency, fostering the belief that ugliness can and should be treated as a medical problem. The pathologisation of ugliness has serious ethical implications regarding the goals of medicine, as well as our understandings of health and disease. In this workshop, we hope to examine the extent to which gendered, able-bodied and racial norms merge in the pathological framing of ugliness. Workshop speakers include experts in the fields of philosophy, law, medicine and gender and cultural studies, who will explore various norms that inform our understanding of ugliness and the factors that promote its pathologisation.

Speakers

  *   Prof Anand Deva (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Macquarie University Hospital): "Motivations behind medical aesthetic practice and their consequences to the health and well-being of the patient and the system"
  *   Yves Saint James Aquino (Department of Philosophy, Macquarie University): "Ugliness as disease: Ethical conflicts between cosmetic surgery and the goals of medicine"
  *   A/Prof Robert Sinnerbrink (Department of Philosophy, Macquarie University): "Body aesthetics: Physical beauty, cultural biases, and moral confusions"
  *   A/Prof Joanna Elfving-Hwang (Asian Studies, University of Western Australia): "Beauty as a moral imperative? Cosmetic surgery in South Korea"

Please email yves-saint-james.aquino at students.mq.edu.au for catering purposes.

Kelly

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: mq.edu.au/cave<http://cave.mq.edu.au>