[SydPhil] [Thinking out Loud] Rosi Braidotti: The Human in the Age of Technology and Climate Change

PhilosophyatWesternSydney philosophy at westernsydney.edu.au
Thu Mar 8 19:41:16 AEDT 2018

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D3B715.6B4D9880]Rosi Braidotti
The Human in the Age of Technology and Climate Change

The idea of 'human' is undergoing rapid change. Scientific and technological advance is pushing the limits of what we have understood of our existence. Some have termed this the age of the 'post-human', where tumultuous changes - social, political and technological - are rewiring our lives. It might appear a moment of great promise and liberation. Yet an underside of injustice and exclusion stubbornly remains, exacerbated on a global scale by climate change. In this predicament how might a new affirmative notion of the human arise to meet the challenges of the third millennium?

Thinking Out Loud is presented by the Philosophy group at Western Sydney University in conjunction with ABC RN and Fordham University Press.

Monday, April 16, Lecture 1: What counts as the human right now?
Wednesday, April 18, Lecture 2: The human after humanism
Friday, April 20, Lecture 3: Is the proper study of mankind man?

The opening of this year's lecture series will be conducted by Professor Moira Gatens. The respondent to the lectures is Associate Professor Chris Peterson.

The lectures will be held at Theatrette of the Powerhouse Museum from 5.30 to 7.30.
Cost: $10 per lecture; $25 for the series. Bookings essential.
For booking and further details go to: www.westernsydney.edu.au/thinkingoutloud<http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/thinkingoutloud>

Rosi Braidotti (Utrecht University) is a ground-breaking scholar in both materialism, Continental philosophy and gender studies. She is the author of numerous books, including Nomadic Subjects (2011) and The Posthuman (2013).

[Alumni Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/H3hwC3Q8Z2FxE73lug39bz?domain=facebook.com>Connect with us on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/philosophyuws<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BD7HC4QZ1RF6vYPOUxm5o-?domain=facebook.com>
For further information about the Research Initiative, please visit: www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy<http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy>