[SydPhil] Andy Clark Lecture Friday 8th Dec

Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics arts.cave at mq.edu.au
Tue Dec 5 12:16:44 AEDT 2017

Dear All,

On Friday 8th December Andy Clark with give a public lecture at 4-5.30 p.m. The lecture is designed to introduce many of the fundamental concepts of the predictive processing framework that will be discussed in detail at the workshop held the following week. The lecture will be held at the Macquarie University Incubator (easily found on google maps and next door to building Y3A, which has a cafe). [S8 on campus map.]<https://www.mq.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/108142/Campus-Map.pdf>

Expecting the World: How Hallucinating Brains Turn Signals into Sense

Biological brains are increasingly cast as ‘prediction machines’: evolved organs whose core operating principle is to learn about the world by using stored knowledge to predict the incoming sensory signal. This casts perception as a form of ‘highly controlled hallucination’ in which sensory information delivers perceptual experience only relative to our own best predictions. I’ll show how these accounts blur the lines between perception, understanding, and imagination, and end by asking what all this suggests concerning the fundamental nature of our perceptual contact with the world.

All welcome!

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: mq.edu.au/cave<http://cave.mq.edu.au>