[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Seminar on Tuesday the 31st of October in Blackshield room: John Sutton (MQ)

Adam Hochman adam.hochman at mq.edu.au
Sun Oct 29 09:09:55 AEDT 2017

Varieties of psychological interdependence: shared remembering and extended emotion

John Sutton (MQ)

Date: Tuesday, 31st of October
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: Blackshield room, W3A 501 *

All welcome

*Note the changing venues this semester

Abstract: What is shared in socially distributed memory, emotion, and action? Theories of situated cognition have been persuasively applied to emotions and moods. Critically synthesizing recent views of extended emotion and distributed affectivity, I identify four ways in which the phenomena in question also implicate both individual and socially distributed remembering. I suggest some applications to our understanding of how shared history animates intimate couples and other small groups. Where some accounts of joint action, shared remembering, and extended emotion focus primarily on convergence or synchrony across individuals, I argue for a broader conception of psychological interdependence as the complementarity of memories and emotions which may mesh in content or form.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hochman at mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hochman at mq.edu.au>) or Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.olson at mq.edu.au>)

---

Adam Hochman
Lecturer in Philosophy & Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile | http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Academia.edu Page | https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/78eDB7Ud3oLESM?domain=mq.academia.edu

Philpapers Page | https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/EM1LB5ULNaY4UX?domain=philpapers.org

Personal Website | adamhochman.com