[SydPhil] David Killoren ACU Philosophy Seminar Series

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 14:26:53 AEDT 2017

ACU Philosophy seminar: Dr. David Killoren (Centre for Moral Philosophy and Applied Ethics, ACU)
This week - Friday October 27, 2.30pm - 4 pm (AEDT):

Infinitism about cross-domain conflict

According to a common-sense idea, (i) there are multiple normative domains (including but perhaps not limited to the domains of morality and prudence), and (ii) an obligation belonging to one domain can in some cases come into conflict with an obligation belonging to another domain, and (iii) in some such conflicts, one obligation overrides the other. In this talk, I'll argue that if we accept this common-sense idea, then we ought to also accept a further idea: infinitism about cross-domain conflict, which posits a certain kind of infinite hierarchy of normative domains. An exact definition of this view will be given in the talk; the view will turn out to be counterintuitive. Thus, my argument in this talk presents us with an uncomfortable choice: we have to either reject the common-sense idea with which my argument begins, or accept the counterintuitive idea with which my argument concludes.

For Sydney attendees, North Sydney is probably best - details below.

David will speak at ACU’s Melbourne campus and the presentation will be video-conferenced to other campuses:

Brisbane: 200.2.03 (BRI_xAC.22 Vd)
Strathfield: 600.1.02 VC (STR_xE2.45 Vd)
Ballarat: 100.1.03 (BAL_xCB1.103 Vd)
Canberra: 302.2.13 (CAN_xS.G.1.10 Vd)
North Sydney: TWH.12.24 (Tenison Woods House, 8-20 Napier St. Nth Syd)
Melbourne: 460.4.280 (Mel 4.28Vd)

This is the final talk in the ACU philosophy seminar series for 2017. If you wish to attend the Sydney location and you are unsure of where to go, contact me directly and I will arrange to meet you in the Foyer of Tenison Woods House (around 2.20pm). Or just turn up…it’s on Level 12 in the videoconference room.

Steve Matthews (Stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au)
ALL WELCOME!