[SydPhil] Macquarie University Philosophy Talk November 6th: Zoe Drayson 'Naturalism and the metaphysics of perception'

alexander ajgillett1 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 15:30:30 AEDT 2017

Macquarie University Philosophy Talk

Visiting Speaker: Zoe Drayson (UC Davis)

Date: November 6th

Place: W5A 103

Time: 2pm-4pm

Title: 'Naturalism and the metaphysics of perception'

Abstract: What's the relationship between scientific theories of perception (e.g. ecological theories, constructivist theories) and metaphysical theories of perception (e.g. naive realism, representationalism)? On a naturalist approach to philosophy, our metaphysical theories can and should be informed by our best scientific theories. In this paper I argue that if we are naturalists, we need to be more transparent about how this process works. I draw on recent attempts by Andy Clark and Jakob Hohwy to 'read off' the metaphysics of perception from the scientific theory of hierarchical predictive processing, and argue that further justification is required for our naturalist metaphysical conclusions, and further elucidation of the nature of the metaphysical claims being made.

For more details please contact: alexander-james.gillett at students.mq.edu.au