[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Research Presents (Dr. Glenda Satne, UOW)

michael kirchhoff michael.david.kirchhoff at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 07:34:39 AEDT 2017

*UOW Philosophy Research Presents: *

*Basic Joint Intentional Actions*

Speaker: Dr. Glenda Satne (UOW)

Date: 18 October 2017

Time: 15.30-16.45

Venue: 19.2072

(Research Hub)

Abstract:

It is a commonly held view, both in current Philosophy of Mind and
Developmental Psychology, that characteristic forms of interaction and
shared agency play a key role in explaining humans’ understanding of other
minds. This insight can be substantiated in different ways, depending on
how one understands the relevant forms of interaction and shared agency.
The dominant views are committed to the idea that access to other minds is
always observational and based on evidence.In this presentation, I discuss
how to best account for the relevant forms of joint intentional action and
argue that agents in such interactive scenarios have a practical
understanding of other minds.  I end by addressing some well-known
 problems of the observational view in this novel framework.

Aimed at staff and postgraduates, but open to all.

Best wishes

Michael

*Dr. Michael D. Kirchhoff *
Lecturer in Philosophy