[SydPhil] JANE JOHNSON ACU seminar Friday Oct 6 2.30pm

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Mon Oct 2 16:01:37 AEDT 2017

ACU Philosophy seminar: Dr. Jane Johnson (Macquarie University, University of Sydney)

This week - Friday October 6, 2.30pm - 4 pm (AEDT)

Taking dissent seriously: Appealing to animal researchers?
For decades philosophers have formulated strong arguments in support of changing the practice of animal research intended to deliver clinical benefit to humans. Typically, however, these arguments have not been of a kind to motivate change on the part of those who work on the front-line of animal research. In this paper I argue that a new approach which focuses on the dissent of animals in research can appeal to researchers, since it furnishes good practical and epistemological reasons for practitioners to alter what they do. However, taking dissent seriously in this way can also support a radical rethinking of the ethics of animal research, which would likely be unpalatable to most researchers.

Jane will speak from Sydney and the presentation will be video-conferenced to other campuses:

Brisbane: Room TBA
Strathfield: 600.1.02 VC (STR_xE2.45 Vd)
Ballarat: 100.1.03 (BAL_xCB1.103 Vd)
Canberra: 302.2.13 (CAN_xS.G.1.10 Vd)
North Sydney: TWH.12.24 (Tenison Woods House, 8-20 Napier St. Nth Syd)
Melbourne: 460.4.280 (Mel 4.28Vd)

If you wish to attend the Sydney location and you are unsure of where to go, contact me directly and I will arrange to meet you along with Jane in the Foyer of Tenison Woods House (around 2.20pm)
Steve Matthews (Stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au)

ALL WELCOME!