[SydPhil] Science of the Self: Abstract submission open + Travel Awards

Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics arts.cave at mq.edu.au
Thu Sep 14 09:08:18 AEST 2017

Hi all,

A reminder about this conference, which may be of interest to you.

Kelly

==========================
Science of the Self: The Agency and Body Representation research forum
20th – 22nd November, 2017
Coogee Beach, Sydney, Australia
www.scienceofselfconference.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/drxzBeuGOJrJT8?domain=scienceofselfconference.us15.list-manage1.com>
==========================

Abstracts due 31st August 2017

We are pleased to announce that abstracts are now open for Science Of The Self, a three day workshop exploring sense of agency and body representation research at spectacular Coogee Beach, Sydney in November 2017.

Registration will open soon.
Abstract submission closes 31 August 2017.
Abstracts outcomes announced 15 September 2017 (international presenters that need earlier confirmation, please contact us).
A limited number of travel awards are available for international attendees (see below).

Confirmed Presenters:
Dr Frédérique de Vignemont
Institut Jean-Nicod, Paris
NYU/Paris

Professor Matthew Longo
Birkbeck, University of London

Professor Jakob Hohwy
Monash University

Associate Professor Neeltje van Haren
UMC Brain Centre Rudolf Magnus, Utrecht

Dr Melita Giummarra
Monash University

Dr Colin Klein
Macquarie University

Dr Devin Terhune
Goldsmiths, University of London

Agency and body representation are growing areas of interest in cognitive science. As a field we are trying to answer important questions about how we perceive our own bodies and represent our ability to causally manipulate the world. This research touches on a wide range of topics including action planning, sensory prediction, multisensory perception, time perception, expertise, and the social contexts of actions. This work contributes to our theoretical understanding of the mechanisms that underlie self-representations, and highlights new possibilities for identification and remediation of disturbances to the sense of self often found in clinical disorders. Agency and body representation research also has important practical implications for informing technologies such as human-computer interfaces and virtual reality.

Research in this area is diverse, and agency and body representation are often studied relatively separately. Despite broad relevance for a number of research areas in the cognitive sciences, there have been few opportunities for a focused gathering of investigators in these fields. This workshop aims to change that by providing a forum for international researchers across a range of disciplines to come together to discuss the intersection of agency and body representation research.

In addition to traditional conference activities, such as talks and poster presentations, this workshop will also provide skill sharing opportunities for participants to learn the latest developments in research methodologies and theory. It is our hope that this event will provide a forum for new connections and collaborations amongst agency and body representation researchers to emerge.

This workshop being sponsored by the ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders, the Centre of Agency, Values and Ethics, the Faculty of Human Sciences at Macquarie University, and Oculus Rift. The first two days (20-21 November) will be held at Coogee Beach. A third day, focused current methodologies and developing new collaborations, will be held at Macquarie University (22 November).

The workshop will include:
- Keynote presentations from world leading researchers.
- Talks and poster presentations on recent discoveries, models and new methods.
- Collaborative sessions and panels on methodologies and techniques such as neuroimaging, behavioural paradigms, explicit and implicit measures, and experiment design.
- Facilitated opportunities to explore potential new collaborations.
- An idyllic beachside setting.
- Reduced rates for students and travel awards for international and interstate attendees.

About the location:
The Coogee Bay Hotel is located right on one of Sydney’s finest beaches. Situated 20 minutes from the city centre, the beach features a magnificent coastal walk and protected marine reserve with excellent surfing, snorkelling and scuba diving. November is perfect time for a beach holiday in Sydney. There will be outdoor social activities and time to explore the beach and nearby nature before and after the conference each day.

Registration information:
We have worked hard to make this conference as accessible as possible and are pleased to offer the following registration options:

Regular registration  A$ 90
Student registration  A$ 50
Conference dinner     A$ 40

This event is limited capacity and we expect to fill all places. Please note that registration will be initially offered to participants submitting an abstract followed by general registration, open to all, late September.

Travel Awards
A limited number of travel awards of up to $A 500 are available for international and interstate participants. These are intended to assist individuals who would not otherwise be able to attend. To apply for a grant please email a brief statement (up to 100 words) to info at scienceofselfconference.org<mailto:info at scienceofselfconference.org> explaining why you should be part of this workshop. Please also let us know the title of your proposed presentation/poster, your affiliation, and the length of your planned stay.
The deadline for grant applications is 31 August. We will notify winners on 15th September.

For more information, and to sign up for program and registration announcements please visit https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Db1pBJUwkKNKsQ?domain=scienceofselfconference.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/87W8BlUL4wnwCp?domain=scienceofselfconference.us15.list-manage.com>

We hope to see you in Sydney this November!

On behalf of the organising committee:
Vince Polito
Regine Zopf
Simmy Poonian
Mariia Kaliuzhna
James Moore

 [https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Qv1bBRfxqXkXup?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: mq.edu.au/cave<http://cave.mq.edu.au>